Marketing Communications / Independent Consultant-Journalist
“Creative Multimedia Collaborator to Educate and Edify: A Resource for the Future”
Author of book published May 2018, with follow-ups and thought-leadership in 2019. When Headlines Hurt: Do We Have a Prayer? The Pope’s Words of Hope for Journalism. My ongoing commentaries related to the book are compiled at this blog. Additional posts in my OnWord front-page blog include links for purchasing the book.
In late March 2019, the book was awarded the Catholic Writers Guild Seal of Approval, assuring readers of the Catholic beliefs and values in the content.
- “Son Rise Morning Show“–heard daily on Catholic radio stations nationwide. Interviewed by co-host Matt Swaim about the book on March 25, 2019. Go to the 6:30 am point in the SoundCloud recording from that day.
- “Catholic Connections with Teresa Tomeo”–the daily radio show that probes relationships between Catholic values and current news, including social divisions worsened by journalistic/media trends. Hear Feb. 4, 2019 archive: hour 2 at 17:00.
- “Church Life Today”–-the weekly radio program and podcast produced by the McGrath Institute for Church LIfe at the University of Notre Dame. Hear the Oct. 6, 2018, archive.
- “Living Stones”–the weekly syndicated radio show with co-hosts Deacon Harold Burke-Sivers and Ken Hallenius. Hear the two-part interview on Aug. 13 and Aug. 6.
- “Lisa Hendey and Friends”–the podcast hosted by a nationally respected Catholic blogger, author and commentator. Hear our conversation from July at this site.
- “Kresta in the Afternoon”–Al Kresta’s national radio show. Go to the archives, then download hour one for June 12; hear me at the 23:00 mark.
- “Son Rise Morning Show”--a daily program on the EWTN radio network, with co-host Matt Swaim. Go to Soundcloud for the June 15 episode, at the 1:49:00 mark.
- “The Kyle Heimann Show”--heard every morning on the Redeemer Radio stations in Fort Wayne and South Bend, IN. Hear the June 20 program at the 26:20 mark.
To review the content, interview the author, or book Bill as a speaker, click here for pdf. Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a gift of the Kindle version at Amazon. A resource list for renewal of journalism and public conversation is growing at LinkedIn.
Research and writing for the 2017-2018 Annual Report of the University of Notre Dame’s McGrath Institute for Church Life. See my posts at the new McGrath blog.– Valentine’s Day story, plus stories on journalism and conversation (Jan. 23 and 24, 2019). See my stories about events in the McGrath Institute news section — Narnia story Feb. 22.
Media/public relations consultant and writer, member of development team at Good Counsel Inc., based in NYC area. News releases and other writing yielded a number of stories, national and local, in new and traditional media.
Freelance writer/consultant, August 2018-present, Purdue U. College of Engineering. Article on the professional development for CoE staff (January 2019). Profile of Purdue alum and global competency in engineering (February 2019). Profile of NSF award-winning professor for research on superalloy structure (March 2019).
Member, Board of Directors, The Music Village, community arts center, South Bend, IN.
News/feature writer/photographer, Today’s Catholic , Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese. Major article on bishop’s remarks regarding sex abuse crisis was posted 2/14/19. See all my recent stories.
Podcast co-anchor and assistant producer
- “EncounterPoints” series, available on iTunes and at EncounterPoints.com. Writer, online show notes. Co-anchor: Ken Hallenius. Subject: evangelization.
- “That’s So Second Millennium.” Co-anchor: Dr. Paul Giesting. Subject: science/faith. Interviews include Fr. Robert Spitzer, SJ, Br. Guy Consolmagno, SJ, Dr. Stephen Barr, Fr. Terry Ehrman (Feb. 18, 2019)
Live hour co-hosting with Kyle Heimann on morning show, Redeemer Radio (2/5/19) Substitute co-host of Kyle Heimann Show on Redeemer Radio, w/ Ken Hallenius (8/9/18) Live hour of fund–raising, Redeemer Radio (4/20/18)
- 2/20/19. Kyle Heimann and Andrea Serrani played the “Name That Saint” game I created on “The Kyle Heimann Show” on Redeemer Radio. Enjoy podcast 622 here.
- 2/05/19. Co-host of one-hour live show with Kyle Heimann on Redeemer Radio.
- 10/15/19. Kyle Heimann and Andrea Serrani played the “Dio-Seize the Day” game I created on “The Kyle Heimann Show” on Redeemer Radio. Enjoy podcast 598 here.
- 1/8/19. Kyle Heimann played the “Earlier or Later?” game I created. Podcast 593.
- 12/14/18. Interview segment with host Kyle Heimann, talking about ideas one can share with family and friends for Christmas. Here’s the chat: https://lnkd.in/e9ScTA9
- 11/21/18. Kyle Heimann played the “CathMath” (Catholic Math) game I created on Redeemer Radio in the Fort Wayne-South Bend Diocese. Learn and laugh here.
- 8/7/18. Kyle Heimann and Andrea Serrani played the “Secular Synonyms” game I created on “The Kyle Heimann Show.” Hear this segment on their great program.
- On-air appearance with drive-time radio host for musical game-show–appearance #2 — an accordion performance, guessing songs.
- On-air appearance with drive-time radio host for musical game-show–appearance #1 — accordion performance, guessing songs.
- Interviewer in Notre Dame podcast exploring inspirations for Catholic school teachers. I co-produced series at University’s Alliance for Catholic Education.
Video appearances and content generation on videography teams
- commentator/musician (in a video made by Chuck Fry), honoring veterans (like my father) in South Bend’s 2018 Memorial Day Parade.
- Videographer for local PBS program “Our Town South Bend” segment on immigrants’ faith — appeared on WNIT-TV in 2016
- Asst. producer/writer for video attracting supporters for an Indiana STEM-teaching program (2016)
- Interviewer, asst. producer for video of Prof. Darcia Narvaez of the U. of Notre Dame Dept. of Psychology and Institute for Educational Initiatives. (2016)
Multimedia promotion strategist and planning aide–elected member of Board of Directors (December 2018) at The Music Village, school and community arts center. Marketing assistant for innovations in teaching / performances; created print products (content and design) for two Open House events. See my accordion-instructor comments on back page of December 2019 newsletter.
Freelance public relations writing and media outreach, Society of Catholic Scientists, announcement hailing vote by astronomers that honored priest-discoverer of “Big Bang” theory.
Accordionist, doing solo and group performances in the South Bend area (concerts, community events, restaurants/parties). Frequent performer with the Music Village “Jammers,” including gig on shuttle bus for Downtown South Bend evening fest (see video from Facebook Live at “DTSB First Fridays” page; Nov. 4 posting on my timeline).
Author/publisher of gift book, Heartfelt Gifts to You, to Share (© 2018). This venture followed publication of two books (as described in a blog interview with Lisa Hendey) by the University of Notre Dame Press.
Public speaking engagements, “Pope Francis and Journalism”, South Bend, IN, 4/7/18. Also, master of ceremonies for Solanus Casey Retreat/Conference at St. Felix Catholic Center, Huntington, IN, 6/29-7/1/18.
Leadership teams, “That Man is You” spiritual growth program (Sept. 2017-April 2018). Member and interim chair, Knights of Columbus parish roundtable, South Bend, 2017-2018.
Public relations team, reporting/writing/editing as a lifetime-professed member of the international Secular Franciscan Order, 2018.